Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Political play of the year?

Adam Kleinheider (over at Volunteer Voters) reports that
Keith Ellison, the much chastised first in history Muslim congressman, took some heat when he announced that he would use the Koran as his photo-op faith book of choice at his swearing-in. Represenative Virgil Goode has been most vociferous in his opposition saying:

"When I raise my hand to take the oath on swearing-in day, I will have the Bible in my other hand," Goode wrote. "I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way….

"If American citizens don't take up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration, there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."

Ellison has stuck to his guns and will use the Koran in his swearing in - a Koran owned by Thomas Jefferson. Goode had no comment on the choice of this very sopecific Koran.

Nicely played, Congressman, nicely played.
I'm not sure how much I want to take Goode's side in this whole "debate," but one way Goode could counter this play by Ellison is to see if he can be sworn-in holding Thomas Jefferson's copy of "Canterbury Tales."

Looks like Mr. Ellison will inspire and perform some interesting theater over the next couple years.

UPDATE: Jay Bush posts about the reason that Thomas Jefferson even had a Koran that Ellison could borrow. Apparently Jefferson wanted to understand his enemies.

No comments: