There is talk in the political world (here) about a purported closet-Islamism for Sen. Barack Obama--who, the "Clinton source" informs us, doesn't highlight his middle name very much.
For the record, I don't heed talking points that come from Sen. Hillary Clinton.
Ironically, like with "Willie Horton," some will eagerly pin this example of Democrat skulduggery on Republicans. Well, count me out of the useful idiocy.
Certainly the worldview one learns in one's formative years is not unimportant, but ages 6-10 are only a portion of the period of one's "upbringing." And, unless he is some sort of Mideast Manchurian candidate, there is no reason to believe that he is not a red-blooded American.
And it is a stretch to say that Obama is "less than forthcoming" about the Muslim aspects of his youth when he plainly stated as much--albeit briefly, in his campaign tome, The Audacity of Hope.
Please Conservative colleagues: drop the "Hillary2008!" memo and step away from the fax machine.
Hello world!
7 years ago
8 comments:
Amazing anyone would believe the Obama smear came from Hillary. It makes no sense. Insight never names a source. If you are unfamiliar with the GOP/Fox News smear machine, you should acquaint yourself with a little history of the Fox News m.o. and get to know this website. I could give you 781 examples of Fox News smear tactics, but you can find them archived here. When a pattern has been established, it's rather illogical to assume it wouldn't continue. In the last election, a new term was coined by the American public and media that will always be synonymous with GOP smear. The term is "swiftboating." Commonly defined as: "American political jargon for an ad hominem attack against a public figure's reputation or biography. Charges usually unverifiable but disseminated widely, leading to swiftboating's reputation as a controversial but effective form of smear campaign".
William,
Even Hillary's admirers (well maybe not you) concede that she is cold as ice when it comes to politics. You think she (or her people) are above a story like this? You think that Insight could/would name a source? Is Insight run by the GOP or FoxNews? Are all Republicans evil?
I'll check out your links, but I'm frankly not expecting much.
And thanks for directing people (on other blogs) to the blog--I am glad to have 'em.
Okay, I looked over most of those sites/pages. The first one was only about Republican ads that supposedly were shown without balance or critique. The allegation about Hannity and Colmes seems patently lame, seeing as Colmes provides balance and the producer of the commercial was an obvious guest to have on, if nothing else to face questioning from Colmes. And these had nothing in common with the purported planting of a story about Obama.
As far as the Fox watch type site, I don't watch enough FoxNews to know how accurate the site is--complete is probably a better word, in its representations. Have you visited any "CNN watch" or "MSNBC watch" sites lately? Slant on the news was not invented by FoxNews.
But there was apparently a lot of truth to the Swiftboat Vets' charges, no? Definitely, it was an ad hominem attack, but we're electing a leader not a philosophy, so issues of character, reputation and qualification are relevant, aren't they?
But I'm still a bit surprised that you are >seemingly< so naive about Hillary. Is it you think she would not appeal to religious bigotry? or that she wouldn't be mean to a fellow Democrat? or that she wouldn't challenge the candor or forthrightness of a fellow Democrat?
The lying liars at FOX NEWS continue to lie.
From Thinkprogress.org
Fox’s Gibson: "CNN Reporter Who Debunked Obama Smear Probably Went To The Same Madrassa"
Last week, Fox News highlighted a right-wing report alleging that Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) attended an Islamic “madrassa” school as a 6-year-old child. In a memo released today, Obama’s office specifically called out Fox News host John Gibson for discussing the story “without any attempt to independently confirm the charges.”
On his radio show this week, Gibson refused to back down. He claimed the CNN reporter who debunked the false report “probably went to the very madrassa” as Obama. Gibson implied that CNN’s report had covered up religious extremism at the school.
Hmmm, but what I'm interested to know is if you think there's any lying goin' on over at Fox, William.
After reading the link you provided, I have to say that Gibson has a point--no matter how obnoxious he is in making it (i.e., Keith Olbermann). Just because a reporter (raised and working in the most populous Muslim country in the world) got video footage of a Madrassa and said footage of the school doesn't have any extremism going on doesn't mean that this particular Sunni school doesn't teach extremism.
But, as I've said before in this very thread, I think that 4-year period is unimportant, and I don't care about his religion (I reject him on policy issues without even having to consider his religious beliefs).
If I wasn't pretty confident that Hillary's people spread it (you still haven't told me why you are so convinced Hillary didn't plant this story) then I might be more worried about an effort to smear Obama with his minimal Islamic experiences from the past.
Lying? Maybe just a failed attempt at 'swiftboating'...
So shouldn't your comment have read, "the swiftboating swiftboaters at FoxNews continue to swiftboat"?
In any event, I am still interested to hear your rationale for presuming that Hillary's people wouldn't plant such a story.
Post a Comment