Monday, January 22, 2007

Emoting and posting about the Rally for Life?

My virtual friend Kat Coble has called me out (here) on my Rally for Life '07 post here, and I figured I should give her a response.

"Knowing" Kat (I only know her from her blog and comments on other blogs), I appreciate her comment, and I can understand her point. But I think she has misunderstood my purpose in writing the post.

First of all, I don't use a blog as a personal journal or a venue to share my thoughts about every subject. I use it primarily as a way to engage others on issues of public policy and sometimes issues of faith, and though I try hard to treat people online as if I might find myself sitting next to them on a playground bench tomorrow, and though I think personal feelings or qualities MAY be relevant to public policy, I do kind of think that too often public policy is discussed in the context of intentions and feelings and emotions rather than the context of logic and evidence.

I don't emote or share/communicate everything that I feel during a day or that I felt during that rally, but I did think of statements (Sean B's posts came to mind) as I decided to go to the rally, which I've heard about the pro-life movement and our relationship to the political parties.

That being said, I won't pretend that I have a lot of emotion for--as some characterize it, "a blastocyst," or even an unknown young person faced with a crisis pregnancy who thinks they need an abortion. But the law is often most useful in protecting us from others (and yes, occasionally ourselves in this interdependent society) who would be tempted or inclined to make a decision based on what felt right to them at the time.

No comments: