Likewise, Bill Hobbs (here) has an interesting post about this episode and notes a recent Romney speech:
Romney's recent statement to conservatives gathered at Sea Island, Ga., sums up things rather nicely regarding his changed views on such issues:Sorry, but that seems like spin to me.
"Now, I wasn't always a Ronald Reagan conservative. Neither was Ronald Reagan, by the way. And perhaps some in this room have had the opportunity to listen, learn, and benefit from life's experience - and to grow in wisdom, as I have. My life experience convinced me that Ronald Reagan was right."
Mitt Romney's Liberal stances and view of Reagan didn't exist or even get formed in a political or ideological vacuum--they certainly weren't uttered in a vacuum. It was 1994. Clinton was President. Romney had observed Reagan, considered Reagan and then chose to pooh-pooh Reagan.
As Kleinheider says over at Volunteer Voters: "[Romney] was campaigning, in the bluest of blue states, as a Northeastern Liberal Republican" when he espoused Liberal positions.
Of course, now Romney is campaigning to be the GOP's nominee for president . . . you do the math.
UPDATE: I just read another article (here) quoting Romney as saying that he, like Reagan and Henry Hyde, changed his mind on abortion. When you're on the cutting edge of an issue, a change of heart is a little bit more believable than if you're late to the party (and it is because you were busy preparing to seek the GOP nomination).
5 comments:
Quit beating around the bush and tell us what this really is about - Romney's pandering to the shrinking minority of Americans who identify themselves as religious conservatives. It all about the obsession with the abortion issue. The fact that there really isn't an anti-abortion rights candidate. Just get used to it and accept that we live in a democracy, not a theocracy as you wish.
No beating around the bush by me . . . I keep it pretty real around here.
And sorry that I'm "obsessed" with protecting human life--heaven help us if that value has become imposition of a religious view.
I'll continue making my arguments and challenging foolish, self-centered, short-sighted policy, so I suggest you get used to it and accept that we live in a democracy.
God, if they were just half as concerned with protecting soldiers and they are clumps of cells....
Hey anonymous, how 'bout we come together and agree to ban partial-birth abortion?
Oh, and we can outlaw war, while we're at it?
Agreed, sounds good.
Post a Comment