Monday, January 15, 2007

Co-opting MLK Day?

I had contemplated leading the family to an MLK event today--I can hardly imagine a braver figure in American history than Martin Luther King, Jr. as he took on apartheid in the South.

Accordingly, I was happy to see that Sharon Cobb had posted a list of MLK Day events on her blog (here), but when I took a look and read the bios and "details" on the schedule, the rain outside and a creeping feeling started to change my attitude.

Coupled with Sharon's snarky comment on an admittedly-snarky post about homosexual "rights" etc. earlier today, the MLK day schedule sure makes it appear that some attempting to leverage MLK for other, less-worthy purposes.

Please read Sharon's post before commienting (sic) on this post, but I'm just not convinced--for example, that gov't expenditures are racially unfair; or that "sex discrimination"--at least as is purportedly "practiced" today, is on the level of segregated water fountains and riding in the back of the bus.

Maybe we'll make the Jubilee Singers' performance, but sorry if I'm not eager to take time off work to hear Constance Rice--a card-carrying Liberal class-action attorney (here), opine about what she perceives are today's civil rights struggles.

No comments: