And while saying the Republicans needed to be friendlier to Democrats, as well as to constituencies like African-Americans whom Mr. Mehlman courted throughout his tenure as chairman, he did take one swipe at his own counterpart these last two years:
It’s also important to remember that America is less divided than Washington. When Howard Dean said he hated Republicans and all we stood for, a lot of Americans scratched their heads. Outside of this town, a Republican isn’t an enemy to a Democrat. She’s his sister-in-law.
Or another parent they see at the soccer field on Saturday mornings…
We are all Americans, and though I have dedicated my career to fighting for this party – and I will continue to do so after I am no longer your chairman – I will always remember, and we must all remember, that Democrats are our political rivals, not our enemies, and they deserve our respect.
Hello world!
7 years ago
2 comments:
I appreciate Mehlman's statements. He warned that repubs would suffer even more devastating losses in 2008 than in 2006 if it did not "reach out to minorities and address voter concerns about ethics."
It must have been unbelieveably difficult to have been in his position, being a Jewish gay man in the white christian party that has done everything make gays not only feel like 2nd class citizens but have condemned them to hell.
Naaah, don't cry for Mehlman, anonymous. And don't worry (wink,wink) about us poor Republicans.
Republicans have no problem with Jewish people (can't say the same about the Democrat base) and are merely resisting the homosexual agenda (like a majority of rank and file Democrats). And it isn't a failure to "reach out" to minorities (which is increasingly code for "support racial quotas") that cost us the election. Try "expanding gov't and spendthriftiness."
And I am very comfortable in the knowledge that Republicans don't have a monopoly on corruption or bad ethics.
Post a Comment