That being said, these two Daily Show clips (here) (and here) --that Sharon Cobb alluded to recently) reflect well on former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, who is contemplating a run for president in 2008. Huckabee seems to have the charm of Bill Clinton without the greasy feel (that's my opinion, not Sharon's).
But Sharon writes:
Saying he is 100 percent pro life, Huckabee is the first pro life politician I've heard talk about the need to take care of that life once it is out of the womb. I've been saying that for years to people who consider themselves pro life. Huckabee seems to get that every child deserves to have food, shelter, education and health care.I think Sharon commits a false dichotomy, that, or she only reads the hit-quotes from "Pro-life" pols which can be found on "Pro-choice" websites, or she really believes that I--as a staunch "Pro-lifer," really don't care about children after they're born.
There are a variety of ways to provide for a child's welfare, and it is only arguable that bigger government is the way to do it. I bristle when a talk-radio host ascribes an evil motive to a Liberal politician when said Liberal politician simply has a different view on a particular policy. Let's judge policy by its fruit . . . wisdom is vindicated by her children. And I think too often Liberals think it is enough that they have a virtuous motive for advancing a certain policy.
6 comments:
Although we can (and do) disagree about when life begins, we all agree that once a fetus is out of the womb and breathing on its own, it is a life. I feel I am actually pro life. I want to see that child not die due to neglect,disease,poverty,etc.
If not the government, whom will take care of that child when it is unwanted, abused and neglected by a young mother who didn't want it?
Please give me a reasonable, rational answer. I think if those of you who call yourselves pro life could actually come up with a plan where every born child (to a mother who doesn't want it) would be cared for, you'd find some wiggle room among liberals.
But it's beyond any rationale to protect a glob of cells and then when those cells are formed into an actual human, that is when "pro lifers" abandon it.
I'm not being snarky when I ask you to show me a plan outside of government to see that all born children are cared for. Again, to me, that is truly being pro life.
And before you mention religion,
yes, hypothetically churches and synagogues should do ALL of this. But until such a day that churches and synagogues actually practice what they preach, we need a plan for these born children.
Please give me a viable option.
If the hypocrisy weren't so apparent in our so-called conservative republican leadership, we'd be able to take their argument seriously.
Praise the lord and kill those muslims, whoops... sorry about those tens of thousands of innocent women and children, whoops... sorry about our 3020 soldiers, sorry about the Katrina victims who have nothing, sorry about the Darfur genocide, sorry but those record number of Texans executed, they deserved it. But by all means... save those stem cells, save those blastocysts, and save Terry Schiavo - because if we do, maybe we can get the religious nuts to vote for us who are obsessed with denying women reproductive right to choose. While we're at it, let's see what other rights we can take away in the name of God... but kill kill kill those Muslims. Can't reason with 'em you know.
You'd be amazed at the fan base Jon Stewart has. I heard that something like 40% of college age kids watch him regularly.
Huckabee - another 'great white hope' of the single-issue anti-choice conservative wingnuts. Keep 'em coming. Dobson just shot down McCain the other day as if he hasn't done enough to hurt himself by aligning himself with Bush. Dobson surely will take aim at pro-choice pro-gay Rudy. No anti-choicer can beat Rudy.
Anti-choicers are becoming increasingly isolated wingnuts... a bonefide religious extremist cult.
Yes, I would be amazed--I am amazed, at Stewart's fan base.
Actually, Huckabee and Brownback-- whom you trashed in a commient (sic) on another page, hold a variety of policies that resonate with most Americans.
And the "extreme" position on abortion is obvious; hint: it rhymes with "schmabortion-on-demand."
Would abortion be ok for Muslims?
No, but as for Liberals . . .
Post a Comment