Friday, January 12, 2007

Brownback's challenge

This is a great overview (here, also here) from USAToday of the challenges faced by Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS) in seeking the GOP nomination in 2008. I think his chances are enhanced by the seemingly wide-open, large, moderate field of candidates. And as the article notes:
It's a mistake to underestimate him," former Republican national chairman Ed Gillespie says. "There's no substitute for sincerity in politics, and he comes from a neighboring state, and he is strong on a lot of issues that Iowa voters care about."

In Iowa and beyond, Christian conservative leaders say they can't determine who gets the Republican presidential nomination, but they probably can block a candidate who is unacceptable to them.

And I agree with this statement from Brownback:
"There are two windows you've got to get through" to win the Republican presidential nomination, [Brownback] says the next morning over pancakes and coffee at Des Moines' Drake Diner. "One is: Are you ideologically acceptable? Secondly: Are you electable?"
While Brownback doesn't say it here, I think these two questions need to be answered in order. And as I perceive many Dems are doing with Obama, I think many Conservatives are putting the cart before the horse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I guess you're mainly interested in Brownback because he passes your abortion litmus test? Another plus, he's against the Bush 'surge' plan.

Nevertheless, he doesn't have a chance.

ned said...

Yep, but he also passes your Iraq litmus test. Oops, maybe not, since he isn't calling Bush a war criminal . . . oh well.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the endless search for a blastocyst-protecting politician. If Brownback is against putting more American kids (IED targets) in Iraq, maybe he really does have some regard for the sanctity of life?

ned said...

Yeah, I'm kind of silly that way . . . looking for principled candidates who share my view on policy. Go figure.