Just got another email urging the impeachment of . . . Alberto Gonzales. The email references afterdowningstreet.com, so I went there and watched their amateurish, self-aggrandizing and annoying video.
It features the usual elements: crass humor, sound bites from Cindy Shriehan, Rep. Maxine Waters, and Rep. John Conyers; naive assertions and general America-blaming. One example, Shriehan is shown saying--in reference to a "Model UN" type of spectacle (sans nerdy high school underclassmen) in which, I believe, Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) conducted a faux impeachment trial in his home district, "I thought the tipping point [for the movement to impeach the President--to motivate Americans to "rise up in peaceful arms"] would be my testimony in the basement at the hearings held by Congressman Conyers." But, Shriehan goes on to say, "The tipping point was actually, in Crawford, TX, several months later. I said that day that this was the beginning of the end of our occupation of Iraq, and I believe I was right, because look at what has happened since then." Certainly she doesn't mean the success of "the insurgents" in fighting back America's efforts to establish a democracy in Iraq? I dunno, but the video (and the "movement" frankly is more anti-war than anything. Bushatred just expands their net.
Their effort to impeach Bush and Cheney started in May of 2005, now they're lowering their sights to the AG, and they've scheduled a big rally event for March of 2007. Which begs the question, it's about time this "movement" started showing some momentum, no? We'll see.
Hello world!
7 years ago
6 comments:
The video was very amateurish. People are obviously emotional over this issue. Never during the Clinton impeachment do I remember state legislatures and even local governments enacting resolutions to support the impeachment of the president. The desire for accountability is strong but will not likely be fulfilled.
Those interested in the case for impeachment of the President should read more authoritative books on the subject, and there are several.
For example, here are just a few:
The Case for Impeachment: The Legal Argument for Removing President George W. Bush from Office
Impeach the President: The Case Against Bush and Cheney
Articles of Impeachment Against George W. Bush
Yes, the emotion runs deep, and it is interesting to observe what are in my opinion merely efforts to augment plain old bushatred with legalese.
It's not an impeachable offense to disagree with a Liberal.
Agreed, but I think it goes deeper than mere Bush hating. For some it's a partisan vendetta, for some a cause for clueless tie-dyed peaceniks with little information.
For me it's a matter of accountability, justice, and forcing responsibility for irresponsible actions, no matter how well intended. I'll save the legalese for the constitutional scholars, lawyers, and historians to sort out.
As I said, I am skeptical there will ever be any accountability for the President or his inner circle, unlike the two Republican Congressmen now in prison (Ney & Cunningham).
All that said, it has been a very dark 2 term presidency that has not bode well for the GOP or for America.
Those 'last throes' that Cheney talked about are sadly lasting much too long.
Jon, how is Bush or Cheney responsible for Ney or Cunningham (or Reynolds or . . .)?
And how have they been otherwise "irresponsible"? I watched a History Channel segment recently that chronicled the questionable decisions made during WWII (by Brits, mainly) regarding strategy and tactics.
Should Clinton have been impeached after the Somalia incident?
And it's not an injustice just because a Democrat doesn't get his/her way.
How could you dare compare Somalia with Iraq? Think about it in terms of consequences.
I never said Ney and Cunningham had anything to do with Bush/Cheney, I just point out that it is easier to hold a congressman accountable as compared to a president. It's about choices and decisions.
Duke Cunningham was a great pilot and hero of mine and I was very upset at the choices he made. I always wanted to be a Navy pilot but never made the grade, instead I served in the Gulf War cooking and serving meals to Navy pilots aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. I am a vet and I've not always been a Democrat. I voted for Bush 41 twice. I voted for Gore in 2000 because he chose to go to Vietnam, unlike 'Bush the lesser', and as a reaction to the foolish impeachment engineered by the Republicans.
You tend to sound persecuted when writing things like "it's not an impeachable offense to disagree with a Liberal." I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not your typical liberal, neither is Jim Webb and other Democrats who've served, and were once Republicans. I think they deserve some respect and not just labels like 'Liberal'. The GOP isn't what it used to be. I'd be ashamed to have a "W" sticker on my truck.
How could I dare? Because they both were examples of, arguably, Commanders in Chief making a military misjudgment, in what was a generally-"approved" use of American forces that led to deaths of soldiers.
And because I think it is ludicrous to assert that Bush has done things malevolently, or fraudulently or negligently, to any greater degree than most any other American president. But, in all candor, I think it serves to impeach one's character--and thereby call into question motives and principle on other acts, that they acted so selfishly and immorally in relation to his wife--purportedly the most important commitment in one's life.
And relatedly, please don't misinterpret my closing statements of late, such as "it's not an impeachable offense . . ." They're sarcastic, they're hyperbole and I say them because many folks on the Left, many Liberals, many Democrats are so cavalier in making such assertions.
I appreciate your military service--and any person's, but I do not think that having served in the military is necessarily evidence of good judgment on military affairs or anything else. And regarding the recent (even back to Al Gore's days) flourish of Democrat Vets, if candidate-recruiters in the GOP were as concerned about not seeming soft on military affairs, you'd see more such candidates in office and in the minor leagues. I just hope that people like Webb--who are more hawkish, really turn out to have an impact on the Democrat Party.
I don't have a "W" sticker on my truck; likewise, I am amused at people who have "Anti-W" stickers on their cars. There's no scandal here (other than in the creative/conspiratorial mind of Michael Moore et al), but there is a long list of difficult decisions, made under difficult circumstances, with unpredictable consequences, and in the face of withering spite. Bush isn't evil, and I'm not convinced (gosh, flame moderation must kick in) that there is any "accounting" necessary.
Post a Comment