This is an interesting article about Mitt Romney's appearance before the Annual National Right to Life Convention in KC.
("Romney Woos Anti-Abortion Activists") There are a number of quotes from Romney that reflect his deft handling of his late-in-life conversion to the pro-life cause:
"I know that it is not time but conviction that unites us," Romney said in remarks on the second day of the National Right to Life's annual convention. "I proudly follow a long line of converts — George Herbert Walker Bush, Henry Hyde, and Ronald Reagan to name a few."
. . . .
Referring to his conversion, Romney told the convention of the largest grass-roots, anti-abortion group: "I am evidence that your work, that your relentless campaign to promote the sanctity of human life, bears fruit."
. . . .
"'I am humbled to be standing among the many who have toiled for the pro-life movement for so long, when I arrived at this place of principle only a few years ago,' Romney said."
Very eloquent appeals to an understandably skeptical audience. But, eloquent defenses aside, it's troubling when a theme of "seeing the light" could be Romney's campaign narrative arc on a host of issues, and that the above speech could serve as the template for his stump speech in front of the NRA, the Club for Growth, etc. While Romney purports to be an intelligent, serious, earnest politician, he ran on a variety of non-Conservative policy positions in several state-wide, federal issue-focused campaigns. As a result, it's hard not to wonder if Romney's positions either
are or were based on political expedience.
No comments:
Post a Comment