I feel kind of bad about a post over at Music City Bloggers; maybe it's because of the swipe at Democrats (particularly Obama supporters) and maybe it's because I left the "-ic" off a reference to "the Democrat Party."
Either way, I need to clarify. I'd say I've already crossed the bridge of consistently using Democrat to modify references to the Democrat Party. But the insinuation that Democrat Party politics often amount to image over substance and that many in the Democrat Party base have a propensity for liking "rock star" candidates is less of a settled issue for me. For instance, I think that Fred Thompson's appeal "among likely GOP primary voters" is related to the celebrity factor.
People who aren't paying attention to policy or issues (or principles) are prone to support someone they've heard of or that has some level of celebrity. Frankly, I think that there are more of those types of voters in the Democrat Party than there are in the GOP. I think I feel icky because I just threw out a theory that I can't really back up with data (I haven't looked) and that I'm pretty sure would offend many Democrats I know and appreciate. Some offense is unavoidable, and there's a good chance (I trust my instincts/perceptions) this assertion is valid, but maybe I should have held off before making it.
In any event, do you think that there is a difference between the two parties on this point?
Hello world!
7 years ago
5 comments:
Interesting post...
Volunteer voters picked this up...
(not sure why the trackback didn't work)
Thanks CiP, I appreciate you stopping by.
Huckabee is on Bill Maher's 'Real Tim' tonight at 10 CST
Tim=Time
Sharon,
You're better than Tivo!
Post a Comment