Monday, August 13, 2007

What's a Religious Conservative to do?

This is a great article about the battle for the Realigious (sic) Conservative vote in the GOP Primary. (The American Spectator--"Split Decision"). James Antle questions whether events (esp. post-Ames) might be helping to ensure that Rudy comes out of the process as the nominee--despite the fact that Religious Conservatives make up a plurality of the GOP base. Aside from his generally accurate (in my opinion) insights, I had two observations.

First, I think that Antle has a too-limited view of the process; he writes, ". . . the social conservatives in the race have been ignoring the pro-choice, pro-civil unions frontrunner and instead cannibalizing each other." But I think Antle fails to see that some acrimony is inevitable in winnowing out the field or settling on a Religious Conservative candidate. This amounts to "public" vetting of the candidates, as Antle references in the article's first paragraph: "Whenever a top-tier candidate presents himself as a more conservative alternative to Rudy Giuliani or John McCain, disturbing news soon emerges about his past record." There is a similar--more nit-picky process among the second-tier folks, but it is something that has to play out. People are loathe to pick a candidate and then have to admit they settled on him/her in haste.

Second, I think that it will be important for Huckabee to jettison the "Baptist Preacher" label asap. Though I am Southern Baptist in my roots, and though I realize that Evangelical voters will have an inherent ideological comfort level with Huckabee based on this aspect of his resume, I believe that his greatest strength is that he has both real-world executive experience and a fully-formed, seasoned and well-worn worldview. I think too much of the coverage of him to date has focused on the more-marginalizing aspect of his resume (as far as average voters are concerned) than the bandwagon-enhancing aspect of his resume.

4 comments:

Sharon Cobb said...

Can't help but give you another "I told you so," on Huck.

He is THE conservative in this race, and the people who are supporting Fred should be looking at a Southern Governor, instead.

And, without selling conservatives out, he can work well with Dems, which is vital for the next President.

For the life me, as I stated months and months ago, I haven't been able to understand why conservatives aren't solidly behind this man.

ned said...

You certainly did tell us so . . . at the risk of taking some of the edge off of his victory, I will concede that he isn't the most Conservative sounding on a couple of issues--illegal immigration and tax issues, but I think anyone who truly reviews Huckabee and his record will see that he is thin on hyperbole and long on results.

Sharon Cobb said...

"anyone who truly reviews Huckabee and his record will see that he is thin on hyperbole and long on results."

In one sentence, you said it better than I've been saying it for months.

ned said...

Sharon,
Aw shucks . . . you really need to visit (and comment) more often . . .