Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Smearing Craig--not that there's anything wrong with that

This journo-centric report about the circumstances surrounding U.S. Senator Larry Craig's alleged sexual life is interesting.

First, the subject of the article "How Did News Outlets Miss Senator's Arrest for Nearly Three Months?," seems rather obvious to me. Absent the assistance of an arguably unprofessional police officer, there is little likelihood that this would come to light. And in all candor, I'm not inclined to hold it against a law enforcement type for tipping off journalists; then again, I'm a moralistic, fundamentalist, intrusive, mean guy. What's their excuse?

Next, the article considers at length what investigations or research had been done on this subject (Craig's sex life) over the years. I'm impressed with their zeal, but I'm wondering what exactly they were investigating. Well, obviously it's the crime of hypocrisy! The problem is that the "Hypocrisy Cops" only have eyes for so-called "social issues" (maybe we can call it "BHWR"--Being Hypocritical While Republican). But the beauty of all this--for Liberals, is that if you don't have standards at all (in the "social issues" area) then you don't get investigated. Sweet.

Beyond that, these investigative journalists get a pass for investigating this kind of conduct because, well, the majority of Americans think such conduct is disgusting (certainly Idahoans do--more about that below) . . . too bad said journalists cherry pick the disgusting activities they investigate.

Lastly, the details of the hunt for a reportable story on this subject bother me because they reflect the journalistic equivalent of "tattling." My wife and I believe that as parents we should provide to our children (as much as possible) the moral basis behind standards or rules we impose on them. As our family grew beyond one child, we began having to deal with the "Whining" subset of "tattling." But I couldn't readily put my finger on why it was unacceptable conduct . . . until I realized that "tattling" was reporting something about another person with the objective of gaining some advantage (an advantage over that other person, generally speaking). And that's what annoys me about this story (or, more precisely, the "back story" on this story); it has the smell of partisan/ideological witch-hunting. It will certainly hurt Larry Craig's reputation with Idaho voters, and therefore Republicans' efforts to gain a majority in the U.S. Senate, for this type of story to "come out."

As with "tattling" in the Williams home, though I'm often concerned about the offenses of "the other person," and though I typically must explore the motives of the tattler, at the end of the day I hate to encourage such behavior.

8 comments:

William said...

When a Senator pleads guilty in a sex sting operation, a Senator that kept the arrest secret from his family and the public for months, a Senator who blames his state’s leading newspaper for his plead of guilty, a Senator who leads the campaign in his state for a major Republican Presidential candidate, a Senator who once held the 4th highest position in the Senate and prominent current positions in various Senate committees, a Senator who has an outspoken position against gay marriage and against laws that protect gays from discrimination, and a Senator who has has three men come forward saying that they engaged in gay sex with him - one in the bathroom at Washington’s Union Station, and, the Senator responds by (over) emphatically saying “I’m not gay!”

What do you think Ned, newsworthy?

ned said...

Gee, I missed the part where I said it wasn't newsworthy.

William said...

You said "the majority of Americans think such conduct is disgusting - certainly Idahoans do"

42% of Idaho Republicans want Craig to remain in office. (Survey USA Poll)

I guess it's OK for nearly half of Idaho Republicans for their Senator to cruise men's rooms for gay sex and/or that politics are more important than deeds and character.

ned said...

Gee, I missed the part where I said it wasn't newsworthy.

Well, I don't think it's okay, inasmuch as my opinion matters on the subject. But I'm not sure that is the correct conclusion to draw from these "facts." Assuming (not wise) that they all know the details of the story, I guess you're arguing with my assertion that a majority of them find it disgusting or are you accusing them of hypocrisy, too?

But more importantly, is it only news because it should bother Idaho voters? Come to think of it, I can see why you're TICKED at those polling numbers.

William said...

Steve's comment from my NiT post sums up the newsworthiness of the issue:

"What makes this so newsworthy isn’t so much the crime itself, as has been mentioned here, there are “freaks on both sides of the aisle.” No, what makes this newsworthy is the blatant hypocrisy of many on the Right and their lip service to a major Party plank - the supposed moral and ethical superiority they try to lay claim to whenever they trot out their “family values” rhetoric in an attempt to make Democrats look hedonistic and immoral.
THAT is what makes this story - and ALL stories relating to sex scandals and perverted behavior by Republicans newsworthy, folks. "
--------
Bush campigned on restoring honesty and integrity to the White House.

Abramoff, Libby, attorney firings, Iraq & Katrina incompetence, contempt of congress, sex scandals by Vitter, Foley, Craig, Haggard . . . how much more of this can you dismiss and rationalize? You're the master, Ned.

ned said...

Gee, I missed the part where I said that Craig wasn't immoral and hedonistic. That being said, espousing a moral standard is not equal to acting/feeling morally superior.

And, no (though it's bipartisan), yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, no.

Thanks for visiting, William!

William said...

Ned,

You're a naughty bad nasty boy.

Shame on you!

ned said...

At the risk of giving you aid and comfort, I have to say that clip is spectacular.

That is Craig's legacy . . . what a fool.