
The interesting dynamic of Democrats and religion is how blatantly Democrats co-opt spiritual (in particular Biblical) rhetoric for political purposes. Witness Harold Ford, Jr.'s concession speech (here). The beauty of this technique is it resonates with "Christian" people who are inclined to vote Democrat, and it adds a patina of "rootedness" or "spirituality" or "high-mindedness" to a candidate.
For the record, I think one's religion (or more accurately, one's worldview) is incredibly relevant in the public policy realm. And I don't think it is, per se, inappropriate for a candidate to make known where he is coming from in the spiritual sense. I don't know Ford, Jr.'s heart, and I hope that he prays, credits God, reads the Bible, harbors good will, and seeks God's guidance as much as he contends. But even the biggest Ford Fan would have to admit that Ford, Jr.'s displays are a bit ostentatious. And to be frank, I'm a little skeptical of his claims as a result. But more importantly, I believe such rhetoric serves to demonize--literally, your ideological opponents. I kind of disagree that my opposition to bigger government or higher taxes puts me in the "rulers of the darkness of this age" and "spiritual forces of wickedness" category. (ref., per Ford, Jr., Eph. 6:12)
I disagree with Ford, Jr. on the issue of whether we have to accept abortion-on-demand as "the law of the land," and I believe that Biblical teachings on the sanctity of human life support my view. Couple that conviction with the principles of our democratic republic and there is a ideological conflict between me and Ford, Jr. But I am careful not to accuse him of being a tool of demons or the grand demon himself. I wish he'd give me the same courtesy. As Volvo drivers everywhere like to tell me, God isn't a Republican. Or a Democrat.
No comments:
Post a Comment