Friday, November 24, 2006

False dichotomies re. Dem congressional majorities

AACK over at Volunteer Voters has posted (here) on a Steve Gill criticism of the GOP-majority Senate's work on appointing judges (among other failures), re-re-reiterating the storyline that the GOP deserved to hear "you're fired" on Nov. 7th.

Though I'm disappointed with the GOP's performance over the past 6 years, and though I am not Sen. Frist's biggest fan, and though I think there was a politically-healthy chastening by voters electing a Dem majority, Kleinheider's post is based on at least 2 false premises.

First, he presumes that the Democrats--who held a near 50% "minority" in both houses of Congress, were not being obstructionist and were willing to work in a bipartisan manner on any reasonable proposals.

Second, he presumes that Democrats will "deliver" more on the issues important to American voters than even the worst group of Republicans.

Well, false premises lead to false conclusions. And though I am not threatening to move to Canada and though I was still able to offer thanksgiving yesterday despite the results of the mid-term elections, I have to disagree with the "conclusions" being drawn by some about the 2006 election results.

No comments: