I hesitate to say this, but I am very skeptical about Congressman Harold Ford, Jr.'s references to religion in his campaign. It is important for me to say up front, I believe that a playboy lifestyle is plainly inconsistent with being a devout Christian. And while I haven't seen or read much to counter Ford, Jr.'s reputation as a playboy, I long ago stopped expecting public officials or bosses or friends or coworkers or family members to be as "devout" as me before I respected them or liked them or submitted to them or was considerate of them. That's not my beef with Ford.
Though I'm a religious Conservative; though I definitely think religion has a legitimate place in "the public square"; though I take offense at sweeping assertions that Republicans don't "love the Lord"; though I know that no Christian is perfect or above sinning; though I think that judging others is hazardous . . . I do believe that Ford, Jr.'s numerous references to his "faith" are disingenuous. Even if he believes as devoutly as indicated, his near-constant discussion of his Christianity, "his faith," or "his God" are so gratuitous that they just don't seem sincere (for example see this 5-min. MSNBC non-religion-related interview for three such references).
Many of my thoughts, words, motivations, actions, etc. in a given day are rooted in my "faith," but it would be akin to pulling the trump card for me to reference my "faith" with each expression of a thought, word, action, etc. "Well how can you disagree with that?" We get it, Jr. . . . you want us to know that you're comfortable with "faith," and I appreciate the value in politics of crafting a message and staying on "it." But when certain words or phrases become a part of your stump speech . . . well, that's where the "slick" characterizations come from. With excessive repetition, such expressions seem more contrived than authentic.
Is it awkward to bring this up or risk being accused of "attacking [Ford's] faith," but I'd say the record is clear on the matter of who put "faith" front and center in this campaign. I think we are observing in Tennessee the pitfalls of the Democrat Party's dogged effort to reestablish itself as being comfortable with "faith." It feels cheap to me.
Hello world!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment