Monday, November 06, 2006

Voting on Amendment 2

Volunteer Voters has some nice input (here) on the discussion about Amendment 2 to the Tenn. Constitution--to allow counties/municipalities to freeze property taxes for our "seniors."

I am not a diehard on this issue, but I voted "no" on Amendment 2 because I have long been bothered by elected officials' tendency to use the issue of taxes to treat different constituencies favorably and to thereby earn/secure their votes. It's perhaps their biggest source of power--the ability to tax (or not tax). By the way, it's certainly not wrong in my opinion to try and limit your tax liability as much as possible/legal, so I registered more of a protest vote.

Thomas Jefferson referred to the Tennessee Constitution as "the least imperfect of the state constitutions" and one of the limits was on the scope of taxation. I am not eager to amend our constitution for this reason.

No comments: