Apparently, research data indicate that 80% of us grow up to vote in line with the way our parents voted. It was in an interesting article (here) about the "fertility gap" between the Right and Left.
But I'm interested to hear how true that is in the blogosphere, and to hear from you if you strayed from the fold. If you did choose a different political identity or ideology than your parent(s), what would you say made you change parties or affiliations?
UPDATE: I guess I ought to answer my own question. Both of my parents voted Republican as far as I can tell (I am certain my mother did, and I'm pretty sure my dad did)--they were both deceased before I started getting interested in politics.
As far as temperament, I have always had a higher "justice quotient" as opposed to a "mercy quotient," it seems. I appreciate that others (my wife, for example) are more inclined to sympathize with or feel mercy towards a person, but I typically will side with "principle" over a person and prefer objectivity to subjectivity.
As far as worldview, I'd say mine is more clear or intentional than that of my parents, so I would venture to say that I would likely be more conservative than my parents assuming their beliefs were relatively unchanged. I don't want to weird anyone out, but my worldview is most influenced by my decision to place my faith in Christ as personal Savior. That decision implies a number of things regarding absolutism vs. relativism and supernaturalism vs. naturalism. (Aside: And based on my understanding of the Bible and our Constitution, it doesn't mean that George W. Bush should turn the other cheek on behalf of all Americans or should coerce certain citizens to be charitable toward other "needy" citizens.)
So, I would fall into the 80% category in one sense but not in the same way that my children are likely to be in that category . . . seeing as I'm much more aware of the concept of a worldview and because I am much more "involved" in the political process. Indeed, that's another motivation for Lefties to seek more control over the educational system and be more concerned about the long-term electoral impact of the "fertility gap." My children won't stumble upon their worldview, much less be ignorant of the concept until they're in their 20s. Even if they settle on a worldview different than mine or don't ever really settle on one, it won't be because they haven't been exposed to the concept. And, I know what many of you are thinking, I won't love or accept them any less if they choose a foolish path, er, a path different than mine.
Hello world!
7 years ago
16 comments:
Both of my biological parents are Democrats. My step-mother was a Republican, she has since switched thanks to George W.
Looking at my Dad's family though, his parents had 5 boys. 2 are Republicans and 3 are Democrats. My Grandparents were Irish Catholic FDR Democrats who have since become Republicans.
So... you're saying Americans are sheep, led to political thoughts formed by their parents?
No wonder you guys lost this year (thanks for that, btw!).
.
Uh, I didn't say anything, though it appears that studies reflect that people follow in their parents' ideological footsteps 80% of the time.
And it is somewhat encouraging to see that you Libs are operating under the assumption that the 2006 election is somehow a watershed event in the history of American politics and the GOP will never win another election.
Well, I got my liberalism from my mother's side of the family, as they worked on Adlai Stevenson's GUBERNATORIAL campaign in 1948 as well as his presidential runs in '52 and '56.
My father, on the other hand, voted as follows from '60 on: Kennedy, Goldwater, Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Reagan, Dukakis, Clinton, Clinton, Gore.
And it is somewhat encouraging to see that you Libs are operating under the assumption that the 2006 election is somehow a watershed event in the history of American politics and the GOP will never win another election.
I suspect you will have a LOT of time to get comfortable with that idea... no need to rush right in! :)
.
So you've got a corner on the extremes, and mainstream America leans Republican.
Mainstream America stayed home in record numbers, 11/07/2006. No wonder, with that Foley business and the mishandled occupation of Iraq. Thank Abramoff for greed, sez I!
.
Better yet, thank the MSM for consistently labeling Abramoff "Republican lobbyist."
JP, I repeat, if "Republicans are in bed with lobbyists" is your agenda, you won't be winning elections for long.
elliemay? elliemay?
>chirpchirp<
>chirpchirp<
But I have to say that you remind me of the NYC movie reviewer who commented after Nixon's landslide election that she couldn't believe he won seeing as she didn't know a single person who voted for him. Sorry if I don't take "[your] experience" as gospel.
My maternal grandfather -- a rockrib Republican -- bore four daughters and one son by his first wife, also a Republican.
The son was killed in a car crash when he was 21. But he was a Democrat.
All four daughters went on to vote Democratic.
Daughter 1 married a Democrat (a labor lawyer, no less) and had two children -- both now Democrats. They both married Democrats.
Daughter 2 (my mother) married a Democrat and had four children -- all Democrats today. Three are married, to Democrats. One is single.
Daughter 3 married a Republican and had two children -- one Republican and one Democrat. They are both married to Democrats.
Daughter 4 married a Democrat and had two children -- both apolitical.
So much for electoral determinism
Yes, I'm curious about the baseless criticism of this study's findings.
And the reason I asked people to give a reason why you might have strayed from the ideological/familial fold is because I don't think that party registration is anywhere near as significant on this point as level of ideological devotion.
There's a 50% chance that you'll vote (more or less) like your parents did regardless of their influence on you; but the interesting question is why the other 30% do--or 20% don't, vote like their parents.
Thank God for Immigrants, and their tendencies to vote against the xenophobic center-right party, in favor of those who, more often than not, respect their struggle to make a better life for themselves.
And the Dems better git while the gittin's good because after awhile those immigrants may start to appreciate that America is great not by chance or good fortune but because of free market capitalism, property rights, rule of law, etc.
Adagio:
But at the top of the tree, 2 R's spawned 5 D's.
Which was more of my point.
Nedly,
Immigrants appreciate America because they know it's a society that welcomes all and strives to keep the Capitalist system open to people of all walks of life. Making the Democratic party their natural home. After a few generations, when they are no longer of an outsider status, then they might feel the urge to close off that opportunity to people of other nationalities. That is when they will beging to migrate to the Republican party.
"when they are no longer of an outsider status, then they might feel the urge to close off that opportunity to people of other nationalities. That is when they will beging to migrate to the Republican party."
Yeah, Seanarino, or until they meet enough actual Republicans and actual Democrats.
Thanks Terry, did you follow in the footsteps, i.e., did you become Republican/Conservative before, during or after your parents changed their affiliation? Or did they stay the same while the Dem party left them?
Post a Comment