Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Clear conscience, etc.

The Apostle Paul wrote that he strove always to have a clear conscience. After months of political vying, nicely capped by poll inspecting beginning at 6:30 this morning and concluding at 7:30 this evening, I can only say at this point that I have a clear conscience, civically speaking. My wife is going to be glad that I'll have less to blog about . . . But I have some initial thoughts.

It was an insult to me as a Tennessean that Bob Rochelle had the nerve to run for the senate.

Rick Santorum's loss is heartening to squishy politicians everywhere. On the other hand, good riddance to Dewine and Chafee.

I love the Sonic ads with the two guys eating in their SUV. I also like the ones with the husband and wife.

Harold Ford, Jr. ran a fantastic campaign--he is a gifted young politician, but Bob Corker is a better, more capable leader.

That last Ford, Jr. ad with him saying "tomorrow you won't have to hear me say, 'I'm Harold Ford, Jr. and I approved this message,'" was splendid. I don't buy it, but I think it's a great ad. On the other hand, the "Corker doesn't come close" ad playing on talk radio was a stretch.

It is laughable that Nancy Pelosi contends the Dems will have a "first 100 hours" agenda, and I'm eager to see her attempt to govern rather than issue scurrilous press releases.

I hate to see Jim Bryson lose so overwhelmingly--he's a good man and Bredesen was just too conservative-acting to upset.

In the end, it's gratifying that the people who won in Red States, by and large, only did so by running as "conservatives." As for the GOP's electoral chastening . . . wait'll next year.

No comments: