Monday, May 14, 2007

Hobbs on Thompson and Social Conservatives

Bill Hobbs has posted (here) about an Washington Times article ("Christian conservatives pledge support for '08 Thompson bid") and--based on the anonymous assurances of several "Christian Conservatives," he concludes:
"This is bad news for a number of social-conservative Republicans in the GOP field, especially Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee."
I'm curious as to why they're being secretive, and I think that this story doesn't warrant Bill's conclusion. I noted as I read the article that it inaccurately stated, "Mr. Thompson, whose celebrity is based on his television and movie acting roles as well as his tenure as a senator from Tennessee, has consistently opposed abortion rights, but until recently had backed campaign-finance laws unpopular with advocacy groups on both the right and left." I know that Bill harbors no doubt that Thompson's pro-choice statements/stances from way back in the 90s are insignificant, but not all of us are as convinced (e.g., here and here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously, an obsessed one-issue voter

ned said...

Yeah. And it's a pretty serious issue--whether we should condone and/or facilitate the wanton destruction of innocent, human life.

Why don't you google "abortion" and "graphic" and take a look see, "anonymous"?