Monday, May 07, 2007

CNN Poll measures celebrity, methinks

Interesting post from Bill Hobbs at ElephantBiz ("CNN Poll a Disaster for Giuliani").

I would say that the poll in question--of mere registered voters (not even likely voters, or likely primary voters) almost a year out from the primaries, simply reflects the fact that many non-political types are attracted to the two candidates--Fred Thompson and Rudy Giuliani, who have a significant celebrity apart from politics. Thompson's celebrity is obviously rooted in his acting career, and Rudy's celebrity--though related to his political service, is rooted in his publicity as 9/11 hero, in my opinion. I think it is risky to read too much into such polls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a semi-political type myself, (I so label myself based on my affection for conservative talk radio, my inclination to read newspapers with a strongly critical filter turned very high, and my investment of heart and energy in training our young people to be responsible and thinking citizens and politicians of the future,) I’m intrigued, if not completely sold on Fred Thompson. While I shouldn’t base my endorsement on one radio interview from a month or two ago, I have little else in my listening or reading repertoire to slant me any other way. In fact, the gap between my regard for Thompson and all the others is caused less by his so far seemingly stellar appearance, and more by opinions against all the others. While Giuliani is staunch in a couple areas that run close to my sensibilities, his “social issue” stands undermine any temptation I have to back him. Romney just doesn’t enthuse me. McCain bores me. Ginrich’s relational moral failures eliminate his possibility in to gain my trust. I know little or nothing about the rest.

ned said...

Mainah,
I think you're stance is similar to a lot of the GOP base, but I think the part about being "enthused" is what relates to celebrity.

I know personally that I can overlook a lot of things if I have an affection or enthusiasm for a person or an institution (I mean, why else would I not support the impeachment of the President despite the fact that Michael Moore crowd has plainly demonstrated that Bush is evuhl).

First, I think we have plenty of time to make this decision, and second, I encourage you to read up on Thompson . . . I have a category on him for your reading pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've read far enough back in your archives and links to wake up with the following deep and introspective conclusion: Boy am I glad we still have plenty of time!