"Interestingly, the two Republican candidates who are most notoriously anti-gay – Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas and former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts – are not polling well at all. Romney has done no better than 9 percent and Brownback also is polling in single digits.We can expect more of this type of mischaracterization as 2008 approaches. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS) is "anti-gay" because he doesn't think that marriage should be re-defined or un-defined to include same-sex couples, and anything less than proverbially trampling on a rainbow-colored windsock is an attempt at "moderat[ing]" one's "anti-gay" positions.
Brownback, apparently sensing that hostility toward gays might position him too far to the right to be considered electable, moderated his position last month, telling a group of Republicans in Iowa that he thinks there is room in the party for people with other views about equal rights for gays."
Ahem, well before the DNC found Jesus in the last election, the GOP practiced Big Tent Party politics.
6 comments:
So Brownback isn't anti-homosexuality?
Well, obviously I can't speak for Brownback, but off the cuff I guess it depends whether one is using the term "gay" to mean "person who engages in sex acts with persons of the same sex" or to mean "the moral system whereby engaging in sex acts with persons of the same sex is normal." If the former, I'd say he's not. If the latter, I'd say he his, and I'd say that he would consider adherence to such a moral system to be a private issue.
So his fights against gay marriage are not a symptom of his belief that homosexuality is immoral?
Again, I can't speak for Brownback, and I'm not sure I like the word "symptom," but my unwillingness to expand/undefine/redefine marriage to include homosexual couples--like, say, my unwillingness to support universal tobacco provision, is because I'm unconvinced that it is "normal" or "desirable" (homosexuality and/or homosexual marriage) for the population at large.
That being said, some of my closest friends are gay . . . ;)
I'm glad some of your friends are gay; I've got some friends who are Conservative Christians.
Jesus loved both John and Mary.
Post a Comment