Thursday, February 15, 2007

Evangelical leader sizes up GOP field . . .

This article from The Hill gives Richard Land 's assessment of the likely crop of GOP candidates. Evangelical leader sizes up GOP field, says Giuliani’s campaign is doomed

I agree with much of what Land says, but I disagree with his assessment of John McCain
"As for oft-perceived Republican frontrunner Sen. John McCain, Land paused, then said the Arizona senator’s strengths with independent voters are what is hurting him with socially conservative voters.

McCain’s “maverick” streak may be a winning personality trait for reporters and independents, but social conservatives consider it to be a sign of unpredictability.

“They don’t like being surprised,” Land said."
That's not it at all for me. "Mavericks" don't bother me, unless they're mavericks from principle, like McCain, or seem to reserve their mavericking for Republican ideals. For example, I don't think you can find any other purported Conservative who is popular with "reporters"--it isn't "unpredictability" that makes him predictably popular with the media and unpopular with the Conservative base.

No comments: