Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pelosi's documentary on Evangelicals

This (here) is an insightful article, penned by Middle Tennessee's own Michael Linton for First Things Magazine, about Alexandra Pelosi's HBO documentary about Evangelicals.

Regardless of how flattering or not a documentary turns out to be, it is tempting to resent merely being put under a cinematic microscope, to bristle in the crosshairs of the documentarian's camera. But Linton accurately (I believe) reviews and draws the proper Evangelical conclusions from the movie: we should be thankful for this frank look at our culture.

Aside from potential disagreement with Linton about how "obedience and sacrifice" factors into a person's "friendship" with God, I heartily echo his thesis.

2 comments:

William said...

Bravo Dr. Linton. I wish more people understood the danger of evangelism being identified with political affiliation.

ned said...

William, I'm assuming you meant "evangelicalism."

But, while I agree that there is a danger, the reality is that I or other "Evangelicals" would be foolish to worry more about misperceptions than about integrating our worldview and our views/voting on public policy. For example, it's not my fault that a central value of the Democrat Party is abortion on demand, it it?