As best as I can recollect, I've only heard of Glenn Greenwald within the last week, but William, a faithful reader/commenter/combatant linked to a review at Greenwald's blog (here)
of a current book by John Dean, so I got me an earful. NOW, Liberal Democrats have a book to cite (based on sociological studies and Dean's personal experience from the inside!!!) that explains exactly why Conservatives are not just wrong, we're psychotic and MUST be stopped.
According to Greenwald, Dean posits that modern-day Conservatism amounts to either a character flaw/weakness or a psychological disorder. Greenwald writes,
And there is seemingly no limit -- literally -- on the willingness, even eagerness, of Bush supporters to defend and justify even the most morally repugnant abuses -- from constantly expanding spying on American citizens, to a President who claims and aggressively exercises the "right" to break the law, to torturing suspects, imprisoning journalists, and turning the United States into the most feared and hated country on the planet.As I told William in a discussion yesterday regarding the purportedly near-cult status of GWB,
I am definitely a critic of him, but I also am inclined to defend him against--among other things, outrageous, illegitimate accusations such as he is "a divider not a uniter," or he is obscenely incompetent, or corrupt, or malevolent, etc.The last sentence was a perception I had from reading William's comments on this blog, but I can appreciate what William was thinking even more after reading more about John Dean's book. Dean and William and many other thinking folks have figured out the troubling phenomenon of . . . Conservatism.
You guys (sorry, I'm definitely lumping here) are so busy raising outrageous crap that there is little opportunity to agree on anything. Bush is much more Liberal than I am on NCLB, gov't spending, the role of gov't, compromising principle, pragmatism over principle, the First Amendment, immigration policy, etc., etc., etc. But, regrettably, I don't believe y'all want progress as much as you want power (back), so working together with Bush isn't an option.
Frankly, I do occasionally get the feeling that I'm like an exhibit at a zoo.
But Dean's broad brush smear job of Conservatives is so off the mark, it is laughable. What Dean & Co. need to be worrying about (and appear to have devised a gimmick to address--e.g., Webb, Ford, Jr. and Shuler) is that the Republicans have successfully forged a consensus majority--most of whom do not fit into the pigeon-hole carved out by Dean. Ironically, as a member of the Democrat Party--a true coalition party with no other binding principles than (a) a strong dislike/fear/envy of Republicans and (b) a desire to obtain power as a bloc that they could not achieve alone.
We "authoritarian cultists" (as amateur psychiatrist John Dean has diagnosed us) sure don't have any trouble advocating for smaller government, less Federal control, local control of schools, a minimal welfare state, broader civil liberties, autonomy from international bodies like the UN, not being told for whom we should vote, separation of powers, owning small businesses, having our own guns, and on and on and on and on.
Yes, Dean says that this suspect group called "Conservatives" has only been held together, "through the power of negative thinking, and specifically, the ability to find common enemies. . . ."
As I told William, I have long acknowledged that Bush is flawed, but can people like William bring themselves to acknowledge that Bush is not the fount of evil/ignorance/greed/incompetence/malevolence in the world? That is negative thinking. That is the requisite "common enemy" to hold a "movement" together when there is little else to rally 'round.
5 comments:
I'm glad you've devoted a post to this discussion. I think it's a worthy topic. Conservative commentator and former Congressmen Joe Scarborough discusses this topic, video here.
Of course it's not a mental disorder to disagree with a liberal but when you start to brand liberals and media as "enemies of the state" - that crosses the line in my opinion.
As I had mentioned, that type of rhetoric is common from Fox News and they have named names. Spacifically demonizing NBC, the NYT, reporting just tonite that the NYT has 'an agenda to see America lose in Iraq.' I would hope any American would find this offensive and irresponsible for any cable news source. The 'Fair and Balanced' slogan has become a joke.
When the shoe was on the other foot, CNN debunked the Fox News 'Obama - madrassa' smear, without citing Fox News by name. They did mention 'other network's' sloppy journalistic standards for failing to check sources.
William, if Americans are watching FoxNews and taking to heart everything that any random guest or panel member says, then maybe our country is one arsonist's act away from dictatorship.
Gee, and when I call Liberals "enemies of the state" be sure and let me know.
But is it really "demonizing" if one concludes, based on evidence, that someone holds a certain position? Sure, Liberals hate that servicemen and women might have died in vain, but they certainly don't think we deserve to win in Iraq, don't you agree?
But I don't need to defend FoxNews, really. Their "bias" (incidentally, every show you reference on here has a panel of people who discuss all/both sides of issues--hence, the "balance" in "fair and balanced" and, accordingly, the "fair" in "fair and balanced") is not a secret and they unapologetically--it seems, concede that they have an "American Exceptionalism" view.
But again, you'd like to try and prove something by slamming FoxNews and this post is about the need to place being a Conservative "out of bounds." It seems incredibly arrogant to believe that a person cannot disagree with the modern-day, Liberal Democrat Party unless s/he is dishonest or stupid or psychotic or immoral.
By the way, the Tony Snow quote (the basis of the Scarborough segment) was that people who are harping on "the Surge" are ignorant, not that they're unpatriotic.
And the reference wasn't as to "Conservatism" but as to resolve in finishing a war that we've started and that needs to be won.
"We" needn't win in Iraq, Iraqis must win in Iraq. Bush made the decision to attack and has effectively broken Iraq and lost control of the country. America has a responsibility to fix Iraq. Perhaps we must elicit more multinational help. I am hopeful when I see the Iraqi military trying to restore order in their own country by fighting insurgent killers. These Iraqi police and military need to take the place of jihadists as heros to Iraqi youth. If that happens, we can look toward a brighter future for Iraq. I hope that happens.
Re: placing conservatives 'out of bounds' - it is their methods I dispute. We should naturally scrutinize the methods and competence of our leadership, it is the responsibility of the press and citizens in a free society. I think it's paranoid to see it as a 'power grab.' We need to hold dear those aspects that make us a free society and learn the lessons of history. Our leadership shouldn't need to rely reinforcing fear of the enemy to launch America into a preemptive war. Before I sign off for the night, I'll submit this quote to you:
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
- Hermann Goering, Nazi Commander
Dang, you pulled the quote-a-Nazi card . . . no way to argue with that.
But seriously, those are encouraging thoughts about the future of Iraq. That being said, I don't think you reflect the NYTimes' position. If the war was based on a lie, or greed, or imperialism, or religious intolerance or to distract from a bad economy (yawn) or to avenge the planned attack on GHWB, or . . . then we don't deserve to succeed in Iraq, right?
Post a Comment