WASHINGTON -- Not a single American soldier will do anything differently this week if the Senate approves a resolution criticizing President Bush's plans to increase troop levels in Iraq."Wrong.
Resolve, determination, focus, will, etc. are subjective states of mind. It is foolish to assert that servicemen and women won't be affected by what one of the two major political parties is saying about the worthiness of their mission . . . it is foolish to assert that their will or morale won't be affected by one of our two parties saying that they have given up on victory on the mission.
2 comments:
Gimme a freakin' break, you think a soldier getting shot at and fearing for his life gives a crap about what some politician does? Most probably won't know or care and those that might would welcome anything that would get them outta that hellish civil war.
You say this in attempt to show the senate war critics are exposing the country to danger by demoralizing the troops and 'giving up on victory'. Your 'Hermann Goering philosophy' is rearing it's ugly head again.
Former Republican House majority leader Dick Armey has some interesting things to say about the Iraq war resolution that passed on his watch:
Q: Is George W. Bush a failed president?
A: I've said over the years that every president either ends up a pleasant surprise or a bitter disappointment. And we haven't had a pleasant surprise since Ronald Reagan. I don't see how anybody can look at the Bush presidency and say this was a success in public policy terms.
Q: Your views on the Iraq war?
A: I'm not sure that it was the right thing to do. You might say removing Saddam from power was a right thing to do. Maybe it was, but was that necessarily then our responsibility to do that? And was it our responsibility to do that by invading a country that had in no way declared any war on us?
Q: You voted for the resolution to go to war.
A: I did, and I'm not happy about it. The resolution was a resolution that authorized the president to take that action if he deemed it necessary. Had I been more true to myself and the principles I believed in at the time, I would have openly opposed the whole adventure vocally and aggressively. I had a tough time reconciling doing that against the duties of majority leader in the House. I would have served myself and my party and my country better, though, had I done so.
Uh, yeah, I do . . . did you notice that was the point of the post?
And, dang, there you go again doing the obscure-quote-from-a-nazi trick. (by the way, I'm not referring to Armey, who, at least for the time being is not a fascist and will be quoted from the rooftops by Liberals).
Post a Comment