"Now, more than four years later, the Democrats want out of the resulting war. Most, such as Rep. John Murtha, want to do so for a simple reason: They think the war is lost. If you believe that, then getting out is the most reasonable and honorable and patriotic policy.What seems missed by Krauthammer is the fact that this goes beyond "micromanaging" the war . . . it is "managing" the war . . . indeed, such an action is "pretending to be Commander-in-Chief of" the war. That's not acceptable in my book, and I don't think that is the way the system is designed to operate. Either allow the Executive to fight the war or declare "peace."
Congress has the power to do that by cutting off the funds. But Democrats will not, because it is politically dangerous. Instead, they are seeking other ways, clever ways. The House is pursuing a method, developed by Murtha and deemed 'ingenious' by antiwar activist Tom Andrews of Win Without War, to impose a conditional cutoff of funds, ostensibly in the name of protecting the troops. Unless the troops are given the precise equipment, training and amount of rest Murtha stipulates -- no funds."
While I concede that Congress (the House, particularly) can refuse to supply funds needed to pay for this war (it "controls the purse strings"), I don't agree that such a power/authority can cut off an Executive's ability to wage a war.
It seems to me, kind of like if a physician's homemaker wife "controlled the purse strings" in the family and the physician wanted to buy a car without her authority, said physician could find a car dealer willing to enter into a agreement that would have him "riding off the lot today" in a new car. Of course, buying things on credit or "agreements" would eventually require actual transfer of funds, but depending on the situation, that time period could be pretty generous.
6 comments:
Wisdom IS vindicated. We need to question the patriotism of such naysayers... like those in Iraq on their 3rd tour.
Wow, that youtube link had "Michael Moore" and "genius" in the same sentence . . . and was linked via the word "wisdom" . . .
And I don't blame them for wanting out at this juncture. I certainly wouldn't want to be over there with my head on the chopping block and people like you doing everything possible to make sure that Dubya loses this war.
You don't think we should win, William . . . you don't want us to "win," William . . . and I doubt you view it as "us," either.
That's okay, get us out of Iraq; go back into your cubicle; elect a Democrat president and those mean Islamists will just leave us alone.
How will we know when we've won and the war is over? The longer we are committed in Iraq in such great numbers - are we 'safer'?
CNN Barabara Starr reports:
"...in another indication on that question of just how stretched thin the US Military is right now — Afghanistan, Iraq and a number of other commitments around the world. ... Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace, has sent a classified report to the Secretary of Defense, and now to Capitol Hill, that says the risk is now 'significant,' that's the word, 'significant,' of the US Military being able to meet its obligation if in fact a third crisis now were to break out. This all has led under the law for the requirement now for Secretary Gates to come up with what they call a 'mitigation plan' - once the risk is 'significant' the Secretary must report to Congress on what he's doing about it."
So, by staying in Iraq, that makes us 'safer'? According to Pace, our involvement in Iraq is putting America at risk. I guess the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Peter Pace doesn't want us to win either.
And I'm sure the only answer Pace can suggest is "cut and run" from Iraq?
What about Afghanistan, William? Things aren't going as well as we had hoped . . . should we pull out of there?
You don't think we should win in Iraq, William.
Stop with the Nazi tactic of questioning my patriotism - "You don't think we should win in Iraq, William" and the 'cut and run' strawman attacks. It makes you look bad.
Since you asked ... I say - Secure Afghanistan. Secure Iraq.
Mark Rose asked me what I'd do in Iraq, this was my response:
----------
Many of these things should have been done from the beginning, much more difficult now to implement.
1) SEEK HELP - Organize and Arab/ regional summit. Form a diplomatic coalition, problem solve, offer incentives.
2) Pull troops out, reorganize with a new coalition of regional forces, put troops back in with a largely non-combat plan to secure Iraq's borders, oil infrastructure, and government infrastructure. Seal off and protect peaceful sections of Iraq as they are doing presently in northern Iraq (Kurdistan) and effect rebuilding.
3) Use tactical airpower in combination with non-uniformed special forces to strike insurgents when they can be identified.
4) Train Iraqi military as a fast-action strike force that can be deployed quickly to quell violence and then be removed.
5) Declare weapons of all kind illegal and offer incentives for those to turn them in. Arrest any clerics or leaders of insurgent groups that encourage violence or support independent militias.
It is a war of ideology. When Iraqi kids start seeing the courgeous Iraqi and US military as the heros instead of bin Laden and al Sadr, we will see Iraq turn around. The future of Iraq belongs to the youth of Iraq and they will choose to go peaceful sections of the country where they will find a better, safer life and prosperity. The isolated peaceful sections of Iraq will expand while the violent and war torn sections will be contained and eventually eliminated. None of this can happen without regional diplomacy ... that is in contrast with what we've had - "bring 'em on cowboy diplomacy".
I'm rubber, you're glue . . .
Seriously, I think it is great to have a plan or to offer strategeries . . . your comment to Mark (and here) is a legitimate, seemingly fair-minded proposal to win in Iraq.
And even though I think it is an incorrect assessment, I believe that having offered a plan to win, you are certainly in the minority of Democrats.
I will fisk your comment later (reasons I disagree with it) but I appreciate the gesture.
Post a Comment