Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chicks or the egg?

Amid reports (Dixie Chicks Album Sales Go Through Roof) that the Dixie Chicks' album sales jumped 714% in the week following the Grammy Awards, I'm wondering which came first: the note or the worthy? the Grammys or the success?

Well, Sister Toldjah provides the likely answer:
"The theme of the day in the MSM is “vindication for the Chicks”, as though the Grammy awards they won make up for the fact that their record sales have dropped considerably, as have their ticket sales, and radio stations don’t want to play their music because their listeners don’t want to hear it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The true bottom line of all this is that either their (D. Chicks) music is still good/great/mediocre or not. I think the Chicks make good music and can sling some mean harmonies.

On the other hand, Gnarles Barkley had the best record of the year with 'Crazy' and all the apologetic liberal-type handwringing voting by Grammy voters can't change THAT fact.

I do wish that music/movies/art was judged on its merits rather than liberal guilt or conservative tsk-tsk-ing.

ned said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting John.

I think they make good music (I haven't heard any of this latest CD, but I inherited three of their prior CDs when a relative unloaded them following their anti-Bush period), but I also think that media types are very PC and I doubt that--as implied by their showing at the Grammys this year, they're superior to everyone in every category they were in.