Wednesday, February 07, 2007

BigPharma and the Left, sittin' in a tree . . .

At last, BigPharma is in the Left's good graces . . . of course, coercive BigGov't is already in the Left's good graces, so this story is only half "newsworthy."

Merck, which is the manufacturer of the new HPV vaccine, is lobbying state gov'ts to mandate universal use of their vaccine. (here)

As an abstinence advocate and Evangelical, I will admit I had mixed emotions regarding initial reports about the vaccine. For one, I believe that this vaccine undermines (further) God's design for sexual activity--an activity with physical but also moral and emotional implications. And pardon me for not trusting scientists (not to mention agenda-driven scientists who often push the proverbial envelope) with the moral questions about forcing people to take this vaccine.

On the positive side, I'm glad that one of the most life-threatening risks from sex (outside of marriage) has been largely neutralized. I say "largely" because 30% of HPVs will not be prevented. And that 30% of cases, along with the aforementioned moral and emotional implications of sex outside of marriage, represent my hesitation about this news . . . the vaccine doesn't remove all dangers of sex, though it will probably be greeted by teens (and parents alike) as somewhat of a silver bullet. Kind of like setting your teen (who for the purposes of this illustration loves lettuce) loose on a salad bar even though 30% of the lettuce is infected with E. Coli.

We'll see.

2 comments:

Sean Braisted said...

Hey kids, what's keeping you from having sex? HIV/AIDS, Gonorrea, Herpes, Syphilis or HPV?

Why, of course it's HPV...if it weren't for that, I'd be having indiscriminate unprotected sex all the time...duh.

On a more serious note, I know of someone who may have cervical cancer due to HPV. She's young, and her parents never would have given her the HPV vaccine on their own volition.

Kids shouldn't be punished for their Parent's trust in their own ability to parent.

ned said...

True (about punishing kids); ironically, HPV is the only one of those maladies that only affects the female--from what I remember, males can pass it on but not be affected by it.

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend.