Monday, February 19, 2007

All politics is local . . . the Life of Briley

I enjoyed a blogopp today with Nashville Mayoral Candidate David Briley (David Briley for Mayor of Nashville) which was graciously coordinated by Sean Braisted (http://www.Nashville21.com).

I have a couple of initial impressions: Brittney's kind of "petite," ACK's kind of tall, John Hutcheson's kind of nice, Sarah Moore's kid is definitely cute . . . and, oh yes, . . . . Briley is definitely talented. Now to some substance.

I couldn't help but think during the time that there is a real beauty to non-partisan elections. Because the candidates aren't all wearing party "brand labels," the races tend toward more substantive "debate" on issues/policy. The same phenomenon occurs in counties like Williamson County, which essentially (though that may be changing) do not have a general election, so the real campaign is in the primary.

Second, I like the dynamic of local elections (such as a mayor's race) because there is less of a market for "hot button" issues. A mayor's job is consumed by fundamentals--sanitation services, educational performance (esp. in a "metro" setting like Nashville), law enforcement; thus, there is more accountability and less distraction with the "sexy" or flashy issues.

In a city like Nashville--which has not yet accepted the dysfunctional-by-default categorization as "urban" there is still the opportunity for the gov't (and mayor) to deliver for its citizens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah herself ain't half bad. It was more than kind of fun to chat with you today. Thanks for the great convo.

brittneyg said...

Petite?! You are my new best friend.

ned said...

Thanks! I got a lot more where that came from.

Can I trade that in for amnesty on one future "quote of the day"?

Kleinheider said...

Good lookin' out for the Republican point of view, Mr. Williams.