Monday, August 07, 2006

Republicans "soft[ening] on crime"?

Zack McMillin in today's Commercial Appeal is incredulous that Republican candidates for Memphis DA and sheriff (both of whom won convincingly last Thursday) spoke during their campaigns about "root causes" of crime and seeking "comprehensive" answers to soaring crime rates.

This is where the Left misses the boat on Conservatism (particularly so-called Social Conservatism) . . . I have a very comprehensive view of crime issues, but I believe (as do a majority of Americans--these two Conservative candidates won by 62% and 63%, respectively) that most Liberal "solutions" actually exacerbate the problems. I don't think that poverty leads someone to crime; I don't think that amoral education is the key to eradicating poverty or crime; I don't believe that gov't policy of punishing success (through confiscatory tax policy) and subsidizing irresponsibility will encourage responsibility; and on and on and on.

Don't you wish the Left would stop legislating it's failed morality?

No comments: