It appears that folks are noticing that some Republicans do not use the adjective "Democratic" to refer to the Democrat Party. (It has gotten some local "Democrat" upset, too--the self-monikered Music Row Democrats, in particular).
To be frank, I hadn't noticed that many others using the word "Democrat" in lieu of "Democratic"--but according to Hendrik Hertzberg (and boy did he ever get to the bottom of this issue) Republicans all the way up to the titular head of our party--Dubya, are beginning to use the term "Democrat" to modify the other party. Indeed, I have over the past year encouraged a couple of nationally-known pundits in email correspondence to use the more accurate term--"Democrat," but I had not observed my movement getting any traction. I had no idea that I was a part of such a well-disciplined conspiracy!
Ironically, Democrats seem to be complaining about the use of "Democrat" even though they want us to accommodate their preference of using "Democrat" in some contexts and "Democratic" in others. My view is that "democratic" is a (positively) loaded term and it is too much trouble to qualify things as "small D democratic," so if Dems want me to call them "Democrats" as opposed to "Democratics," then I will be consistent and call them the "Democrat Party."
Hello world!
7 years ago
4 comments:
From now on y'all are the Republic party. Makes about as much sense.
Manipulating language is not converting hearts and minds. It is disingenuous and the last resort of those with no faith in their ideologies.
Brittney,
I guess you're giving up on "converting hearts and minds"?
But you are free to call us whatever you want . . . just try to be consistent and make sure people know who you're talking about.
Ned,
Why not just stick to Libs, or Traitors? That way people will know automatically that you mean it in a negative context.
BTW, I think I recall a DailyKos post on this back in 2004. Bush had two different speeches he would give. One to friendly (rightwing lap dogs) where he would use the term "Democrat Party", and another he'd give to the less friendly crowds where he'd say "Democratic party". It's just another little subtle thing Bush does to reach out to his base. Like constantly talking about looking into people's hearts (Remember, Putin's heart is good). I think many Secular Christians/Liberals/Whatever don't understand the religious connotations that come with that, but his base does. Best of both worlds for him, court the Religious Right without offending the independents.
Hey, I thought you were on vacation . . . but that's interesting about Bush having two different speeches--were they sidarthing him back then?
Personally, I use the grammatically simplest term "Democrat" in all contexts.
Post a Comment