Sunday, August 20, 2006

Re. Israel and Lebanon

I had a fascinating discussion with a close friend last evening about the current Israeli/Lebanese conflict and, as a result, I am both less apathetic about the situation and more sympathetic to criticisms of Israel. This friend and I agree on most political issues, but he has deep roots in that region of the world as well as extensive military experience . . . both of which may contribute to his different perspective on these matters.

In particular, I am persuaded (for the time being, at least) that Israel over-reached in the recent conflict. But I have to say that I think Israel is often frivolously criticized for whatever it does because of deep partisan opposition, rather than legitimate, even-handed disagreements. Thus, as with Dubya's plainly-less-than-perfect administration, I am inclined to defend Israel from harsh and disingenuous criticism.

He has directed me to some sites that offer a more balanced view of the flaws of current Israeli policy:
www.nkusa.org
www.jewsnotzionists.org

I've only skimmed these sites, and am not persuaded of their credibility (to me) yet, but we'll see.

4 comments:

Sean Braisted said...

That's kind of funny...I used to be pro-Palestinian, but have evolved into being a bit more pro-Israeli. I guess we are just born ideological opposites.

ned said...

Well, most Liberals sympathize with anyone in conflict with Israel, so there's no surprise there. And I should be careful to limit my comments to this current conflict; but I'm interested to know how our views are similar. What is making you more "pro-Israeli," if you don't mind me asking?

Sharon Cobb said...

As a Jew, I can tell you one of the few places to get accurate info on the Middle East is CAMERA.org.
FYI, Arab land out numbers Israel 640 to 1. Why can't people leave this tiny speck of sand where the Jews live in peace with Muslims and Christians alone?
The Muslims hate us. Have you ever heard of Palestinians for Peace? There's a reason you haven't, yet over 1/2 of Israel is for a two state solution. It's just hard to have a partner in peace...in anything when you have to do it alone. Isn't that the opposite of a partnership?
Am Israel Chai,
Sharon

ned said...

I agree with you Sharon, inasmuch as Israel is generally worthy of my wholehearted support; however, I do believe that a good friend holds his friends accountable, and I'm thinking that friends of Israel need to help them stay on the straight and narrow.

I'll check out that website, too.