Sunday, July 22, 2007

Can't a guy get any respect?

Many Democrats (begrudgingly) praise Mike Huckabee (for his temperament and winsomeness), but calling him a Democrat is a bit much, I'd say. I just came across this article ("Plight of the poor emerges as an issue / Candidates Edwards and Brownback offer heartfelt proposals") from the San Francisco Chronicle that puts Huckabee in the "D" column:
"By early summer, the Pew Forum had posted anti-poverty profiles for 10 candidates: Sam Brownback, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney on the Republican side, and Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Mike Huckabee, Barack Obama and Bill Richardson among the Democrats."
Anyway, let me say that I always bristled at Dubya's use of the qualifier "Compassionate" with the word "Conservative," and I reject the notion that a candidate only cares about "the plight of the poor" if s/he proposes some gov't scheme to seem to be doing something about it.

On the subject of poverty, "John Edwards Vows To End All Bad Things By 2011," | The Onion - America's Finest News Source.

No comments: