Wednesday, July 13, 2005

McDonald's Bashing

I will admit that I have not seen Supersize Me about McDonald's and the restaurant's Big-tobacco-like conspiracy to "hook" people. I have several friends who have seen it and believe that it is credible. I will also state that I am very skeptical of such "documentaries." I promise to you that I will look into the movie (I'm not going to pay to watch it, but I will research it online), but I thought it was funny that I read in the July 4 issue of ESPN-The Magazine a report about Chris Horner--an American cyclist who is a contender (riding for a European cycling team) in the Tour de France.

When talking about how little money he had at various times in his cycling career the article states:

Before turning pro in 1995, he drove to races knowing he needed to win gas money for the drive home . . . and smuggled soda into fast-food joints (the only places he could affort to eat). "I'm not saying you can eat McDonald's seven days a week and still win races," says Horner. "I'm just telling you that I have."



Update: I just visited the supersizeme site and couldn't believe the idiocy of this quote IMPLYING that corporations may be to blame for obesity in Americans:
Ominously, 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and 2 out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame?

Now, I'm going to keep an open mind (until further notice) but I also found it idiotic that one of the producer's rules for his one-month all-McDonald's diet was "only supersize if offered" . . . he dufus (or is it the people that he fooled with this) that's called "suggestive sales" and it is company policy to sell as much product as the customer wants. I know . . . I'm supposed to be keeping an open mind . . .

Update: Okay, open mind over. I've discovered a great website that denudes the movie's producer, Spurlock. He's a self-promoting sham, just like Michael Moore.

No comments: