Just today I came across the verse, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap," and the verse came to mind when reading
Rob Briley talks about his struggles with alcoholism, personal life on Nashville City Paper. From the article, Briley says:
“I’ve been an exercise in how much public humiliation one person can endure and still be able to hold their head up high,” Briley said. “I’m not proud of what I’ve done, but I’m proud of who I am today and for the way that I’m trying to deal with the problems that have confronted me today.
“And I’m looking forward. I’m not going to live in the past. I’m trying to live my life today in the way that God directs me, and God’s forgiven me for what I did. I would hope that us mere mortals would find a way to forgive me too.”
Briley asked the public to forgive him and thanked God that the police officers were not hurt and that “no one else was injured” as a result of the incidents.
and regarding his relationship with a lobbyist to the house committee he chairs?
"The Nashville attorney and former chairman of the House Judiciary Committee until he recently resigned that post would not comment on the Nashville Scene’s allegation that he had an affair with the trial lawyer’s ex-lobbyist, Mary Littleton, who was involved with lobbying the Judiciary Committee. “I think that as a public figure, I think people have a right to pry into my life,” Briley said when asked for comment on the allegation of marital infidelity. “And over the past four years, I’ve been living my worst nightmare … and at some point in time, I have to be willing to draw the line and say, even though I’m a public figure, there are certain things that are private.”"
Frankly, I'm not sure whether he has reason yet to "hold his head high," and I'm skeptical of the motivation for this interview given his resolve in maintaining decorum and privacy only with respect to details of his life that would hurt his case in the court of public opinion or in
real court.
2 comments:
You have to give him credit, he's great at regurgitating all the things they tell you in therapy. Not very humble about the humiliation his family, friends, colleagues and constituents have have suffered but the selfishness of addiction is hard to shake.
Well said. He does appear to be a quick study.
Post a Comment