I just read this interesting article about alleged racist reporting about looting in New Orleans. You have probably seen both of these photos (with the alleged captions). I noticed this problem when I first saw the photo of the "lighter-skinned" couple, I guess because it was linked on Drudge's front page at one point. But, ironically, my first thought was, "they didn't 'find' something in a grocery store and have any more right to it than someone who 'looted' it from a grocery store."
I also heard G. Gordon Liddy yesterday opining that reporting from N.O. might be racist, but I'm not sure I want reporters trying to "report" with self-determined or self-perceived representative samples. The reality is that 2/3 of the people--from what I've heard, that lived in downtown N.O. were black. Unfortunately, that statistically means that 2/3 of the images coming out of there will contain photos of blacks. When a photographer takes 300 pictures and tries to pare it down to three focused, poignant, "good" photos, the likelihood that the three shots will contain blacks is VERY high.
My main observation, though, is that I seriously doubt that the major-league PC-types at AP and the French AFP intended anything racist.
Hello world!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment