Friday, October 17, 2008

Marxist "fairness"

Here's a friend's insightful analysis of Obama's encounter with everyman "Joe the Plumber":
[Joe] brought out of Obama what years of campaigning and 3 debates could not. One phrase, 'we need to spread the wealth around to give the people below you a fair shake.' Sounds great, unless you actually think about it. Fairness? It's the government's job to make things fair eh?

Let's look at it like this. I work my butt off to get a good grade in one of my several colligiate classes, sacrificing some television, socialization, and entertainment to attain my grade. However some of my classmates 'were busy' playing video games, partying, sleeping, etc. which 'prohibited' them from working as hard on the class. Mid-terms come by, I get an A, my 'busy' (slacker) classmate gets a D. Now, getting a better grade will usually open more doors for opportunity than getting a poor grade. So, to give people below me a 'fair shake' why don't we give some of my points to the other guy and give us both a C+. Wouldn't that be fair?

Screw fairness.

We all started at the same point, I worked harder, I got a better grade.

That's justice.

If I received only the mean grade from any of my classes I would never score higher than a C, why work hard? If a university did this to any of us, we would all be up in arms!
And speaking of Capitalism . . . my friend also has some nice t-shirt designs for sale. I like the "Senator Government" one.

No comments: