Thursday, March 20, 2008

Huckabee on Rev. Wright: “Cut Him Some Slack”

This was an interesting, and not surprising, report about statements from Mike Huckabee on Rev. Wright. (Huckabee on Rev. Wright: “Cut Him Some Slack”)From the story:
"“I grew up in a very conservative south, and I think that you have to cut some slack, and I think I’m probably the only conservative in America who is going to say something like this, but I’m just telling you, we’ve got to cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told you have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie you have to go in the backdoor when you go the restaurant,” he continued.

“Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and have resentment, and you just have to say, I probably would too.”"
I completely agree in one sense, but I think it is a form of "soft bigotry" to leave such expressions or movements or systems of belief unexamined or uncritiqued. And there's an ugly point at which resentment is fostered, nursed, exploited. But Huckabee demonstrates again his exceptional empathy.

Here's some more context on the statement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is a form of "soft bigotry" to leave such expressions or movements or systems of belief unexamined or uncritiqued.

True. But you appear to forget that it has been critiqued, and yet this apparently is not enough. So it is not a problem of soft bigotry, but hard bigotry against the black community. Or at the very least there is a simple lack of the understanding, humility and forgiveness that any moral person should demonstrate towards a people not long freed from an oppressive society and still living in the aftershock.

ned said...

Has it been critiqued? "Not enough" for who or what?

Okay if you think I'm a bigot, but how long will be enough to sit back and watch as others foster, nurse and exploit the history? In any event I'd challenge the premise that it is even a good idea or emotionally healthy to engage in it if one is african-american.