Monday, March 24, 2008

Accused murderer commits suicide

Here's an interesting story from Knoxville ("Sheriff releases info on suicide of Johnia Berry's accused killer"--Knoxville News Sentinel). Interesting because I know Greg Isaacs (the defense attorney), because of the defense's theory that is likely to cloud the issue/story, because I don't feel much remorse that someone involved in a capital murder has done himself in.

From the story:
(The victim), 21, was stabbed to death in her West Knox County Apartment in December 2004. The case went unsolved for nearly three years before a DNA test linked blood found in Berry's apartment to Olson (the guy who just committed suicide), who has a record for theft.
But the defense had someone ("Augustine Joseph Leon") who claimed someone other than Olson had confessed to the murder:
"According to Leon's statement, Olson broke into what he thought was an unoccupied apartment when Berry, who heard an intruder and armed herself with a knife and wounded Olson.

Cox then ran to Olson's aid and killed Berry as Olson, bleeding, ran from the apartment, according to Leon's account."
To be sure, I want to make sure we get the actual killer in this case, but I noone will shed any tears over Taylor Olson's death. Apparently Olson had "apologized" in the past for what he called an "accident." It's sad to say, but Olson likely saved us all a lot of trouble by taking his own life. He was plainly guilty of capital murder (even assuming the promised defense witness' account is true). And I seriously doubt this young woman (the victim) was the aggressor with Olson (or anyone) before she was killed.

No comments: