Interesting report from the American Spectator ("Huckabee's Salvation"):
"Dr. James Dobson, who has largely been made irrelevant to the 2008 Republican presidential race, has apparently found his man, and according to an adviser, is ready to change the landscape of the Republican nomination race.A variety of voices have questioned the significance of Pat Robertson's endorsement of Giuliani, but there's little question about Dobson's enduring influence within the Religious Conservative movement.
'He is the leader of the evangelical and social conservative movement in America, and he's going to reassert that position and leave no doubt that he's in charge,' says the adviser based in Colorado.
Sources close to Dobson say that within the next ten days he is coordinating an endorsement plan with the presidential campaign of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. According to a Huckabee insider in Iowa, the event would be staged in that state at a rally, followed by a bus tour across the state, and an appearance by Huckabee on Dobson's radio show, which is heard nationally."
Tip o' the hat to The Maritime Sentry.
UPDATE: Public denials from all sides . . . but private, unnamed sources standing by their story. Also, this article reports that Don Wildmon (Pres. of American Family Association) has endorsed Huckabee.
5 comments:
Wouldn't it be great if Huck runs as a third party IND? That would be just awesome.
He is the leader of the evangelical and social conservative movement in America, and he's going to reassert that position and leave no doubt that he's in charge
Funny, I thought that was supposed to be Jesus.
William,
No. That's not wise in my opinion, though I bet you'd love to win another couple presidencies by plurality.
Sean,
I presume you're being tongue in cheek (William, too), but the context is politics, not religious belief. Sometimes they overlap (and certainly one's belief system is manifested in their politics), but they're different realms. Is that quote from the article?
The quote is from the excerpt you quoted on the blog. Perhaps it is a different realm, but while I'm not Biblical scholar, I always thought that humility was a virtue in the eyes of Jesus.
But as for the "Evangelical" movement being a political, and not religious one...I'm sorry, but isn't the definition of an Evangelical, one who goes out and preaches God's word, and not some political doctrine?
Frankly, I don't really care what happens on your side of the aisle, though I think the endorsement of Huckabee by religious conservatives seems the most natural, and the endorsement by Robertson of Giuliani simply befuddles the mind, but regardless of the endorsements, I just think that Dobson's aide's comments are arrogant and counter to the purposes of Christianity.
D'oh, I skimmed that comment. Yeah, that is a rather proud statement, even though I think the context is the political realm. In fact the bluster of that statement undermines the credibility of the "aide" I'd say . . . it's too grandiose of an assertion. And given the developments re. this story since the rumors were first reported, that credibility issue is even more relevant.
Post a Comment