Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Brownback and Huckabee (and McCain) back ultrasound availability

This article highlights the annoying practice of spokespersons running interference for candidates. I especially like the spokes-tactic of repeating a non-responsive statement like "the (governor/senator/candidate) is FILL-IN-THE-BLANK," when asked for an off-talking-points question. I like it when statements come directly from a candidate's mouth.

Mitt Romney isn't commenting on this particular pro-life legislation, but other candidates are. ("Mitt Romney Won't Comment on South Carolina Abortion-Ultrasound Bill")
"Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who has signed pro-life bills into law as governor in his state, says he backs the idea.

'I'm pro-life and my attitude has always been if we're going to take a position, take it on the side of preserving life,' he said. 'Anytime we can help to highlight what an abortion is, that would be a good thing.'
. . . .
Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback said he supported the bill as well.

'I applaud the South Carolina legislature for considering this strong pro-life legislation,' said Brownback. 'An unborn child deserves as much protection as we can offer, and I believe this legislation moves us toward that goal.'

Brownback continued, 'Throughout my career in the United States Senate, I have been committed to upholding and fighting for pro-life policy. I believe, and always have, that we must defend life at every stage.'
"


Note: McCain said he supported the bill as well.

No comments: