Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A first!! An example of Republican voter fraud.

Though this headline is plainly misleading, "Phone-jamming records point to White House," I have to note this is the first example of Republican voter fraud I've encountered. It appears that someone in the NH GOP paid for an Idaho company to "jam"--or repeatedly call and hang up on, the phone lines of a Labor Union's phones to prevent the Union from giving people rides to the polls.

First, The headline is misleading because it implies that the phone jamming plan was approved or hatched or whatever-nefarious-term-you-can-think-of by the WH because there were phone calls placed to the WH political office on the day of the election. Calls into HQ in a hot race are VERY common, and the phone-jamming would obviously have happened on the day of the election and the plan ("scheme"/"conspiracy") had been paid for a week prior, so I doubt phone calls made the day of the election to WH has ANYthing to do with this plan.

Second, though I DESPISE voter fraud, it is some comfort to see that Sununu (the Republican) won by 5%, so I doubt that 2 hours of jamming phones at a single "get out the vote" center was the deciding factor in the election. Nonetheless, I'm glad they busted the folks who were involved (and I don't think that Democrat lawyers need to be allowed to subpoena WH staffers on a fishing expedition).

No comments: