If you pay attention to the John Roberts nomination very much in the coming weeks (months, if the Dems have their way), you're bound to hear about the Federalist Society. Here's the NY Times' take on the organization.
I have a funny personal story about the Federalist Society. I was in my first year of law school at UT in 96 when I happened to see a Nightline episode attempting to tarnish the reputation of Kenneth Starr. They showed a graphic of a flow chart which connected Starr to Scalia and Thomas (as well as the Clinton sexual harassment plaintiff's attorneys)--the connection? They were all purportedly members of the Federalist Society. It sounded like my kind of organization, and--after finding out that UT had not had a chapter for some years, I determined to found a chapter there. It is still going strong, last I heard.
What motivates people to join the organization? Law schools (even the "conservative" ones) are notoriously hostile to Conservative thought. They are also heavily populated by Liberal professors and Liberal-wannabees. I think the same can be said of most legal environments--to include DC. Thus, there is a natural attraction to coming together with like-minded attorneys. As Rush Limbaugh might say, the Federalist Society is just a harmless, lovable, little fuzzball. Hee hee.
Hello world!
7 years ago
1 comment:
Thanks; I know that Ann went to U of M Law School, and she certainly sympathizes with The Federalist Society's principles.
Post a Comment