Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dems and their "wedge issues"

John McCain has announced his support for the Arizona Civil Rights Initiative, which Roger Clegg reports "would ban preferences based on race, ethnicity, and sex in the state’s public contracting, education (including university admissions), and employment programs." Clegg also report:
"Disappointingly, Senator Barack Obama immediately criticized McCain: 'I think in the past he'd been opposed to these Ward Connerly initiatives as divisive. And I think he's right. These are not designed to solve a big problem, but they're all too often designed to drive a wedge between people.'"
Yep, if an issue doesn't help Democrats win elections, it's likely "divisive" or in the "wedge" phylum.

2 comments:

Aaron Tifft said...

It's refreshing to see McCain's stance on this issue. And you are correct, only Republican issues seem to be "divisive," "wedge driving," or the ever feared "partisan."

ned said...

Aaron,
Can you please shoot me an email at nedwilliams AT gmail Dot com? I don't have ready access to your address . . .

But yes, given how subjective the term "divisive" (or "controversial") is, makes it PERFECT for manipulation by media.

And regarding race, I wholeheartedly agree with Clegg who points out that institutionalizing racial prejudice DOES NOT serve to dispel racial prejudice.