It appears from this report that Conservative dissatisfaction with the GOP on a national level is showing up in the President's low poll numbers. Though I complain as much as the next guy when leader's let me down, I also get involved in party-building and candidate-selection activities. Even more importantly, I don't sulk, sit out an election and allow Liberals to waltz to victory when an elected Republican doesn't give in to my letter-writing campaign/pressure.
Which leads me to another concern of mine about a phenomenon that has become more common due to advances in electronic communication as well as the popularity of talk radio: "direct democracy" or pressuring those in office toward a particular policy. As I alluded to above, the time to take action is at election time. I remember when ol' Ross Perot would talk about setting up a system of direct ballots or what amounted to referenda on Federal issues . . . how democratic! how noble! Uh, no. In reality it is counter to our form of gov't which is republican and representative not technically "democratic." Our constitutional republic is designed to foster rule of law and to counter mob rule. Sure, it's a free country, and we can and often should complain about politicians, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Hello world!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment