Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bredesen or McWherter over Sundquist?

The Haslam for Governor campaign is in the news for leaving former Republican Governor Don Sundquist out of his most recent ad "For all of Tennessee" while including Democratic state leaders Phil Bredesen and Ned McWherter. I have to say that, from what I know, neither McWherter nor Bredesen ever betrayed his supporters, and with such disdain, as did Don Sundquist by supporting a state income tax within weeks of having been elected by pledging opposition to same. Sundquist further sullied even the sordid stereotype of politicians.

3 comments:

Sean Braisted said...

I know a few Democrats who have the same feelings of animus towards Bredesen for his TennCare cuts, obviously their numbers are fewer than the Republicans who hate Sundquist.

Either way, Haslam will probably be most like Bredesen in that he'll avoid controversial issues like the plague.

ned said...

I can google it obviously, but would you say Bredesen's alleged betrayal is as stark?

And I agree about Haslam as governor in regard to controversial issues. Unfortunately, government policy directly (perhaps "positively" is a better term) impacts so much more than fiscal issues that it is almost derelict for an elected official to "avoid" other issues, don't you think? (especially if s/he campaigned on such issues)

ned said...

Okay, I googled it, and I see that--at least when angling for the Secretary of HHS job, Bredesen said he favored universal (read: socialized) healthcare.

Which raises an interesting question: would Mike McWherter reference Sundquist in an ad?