Monday, August 02, 2010

Ken Whitehouse: THIS time re-districting might be a problem . . .

I agree that the impact of this election is greater than the last four bi-ennial elections, but it sure sounds like Ken Whitehouse is concerned and sounding the alarm . . .
("Election holds key to redrawing the state’s political map" | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News):
Start thinking. This time around, those voted into office could have long-lasting legacies.


That being said, I think some reform to the process of drawing districts--at the least to increase transparency, would be good. Tanner's bill would merely make proposed districts available online for a certain period of time prior to a vote; thus, given the public's apathy and official unresponsiveness Tanner's bill would do little to remedy this problem. I think requiring some measure of "compactness" will take much of the gamesmanship out of the process Here's a fascinating website/game on the subject of redistricting.

No comments: