Friday, January 25, 2008

So that's what they mean by "representative"?

(Still) State Rep. Rob Briley offered a mea culpa, sort of, on the floor of the Tennessee House yesterday. (here) I say "sort of" because he says he has taken responsibility for his actions, but has yet to step down from his seat. That being said, his inaction on this point makes more sense in light of this statement from a fellow Nashville Democrat:
About a half-dozen legislators made speeches afterward saying they forgave Briley for his actions.
Rep. Gary Moore (D-Nashville) told Briley he forgave him but wasn’t sure why he needed to do so.
“I don’t think that you’ve done anything that any of us in this room have not done,” Moore said. “But you asked for my forgiveness and I’m granting it.
“And I certainly appreciate the fact that you stood before us and asked forgiveness and I think shine a little light to all of us that everyone of us in this room have our own little demons that we deal with.
“Some of us are alcoholics, some of us are thieves, some of us are adulterers. The truth of the matter is, we reflect society. We are made up from society.And all of us reflect what society reflects.”
Last year, Briley pleaded guilty to a DUI charge but had a felony evading arrest, as well as other misdemeanor charges, suspended after he reached a deal with state prosecutors.
(emphasis added) Gee, this gives a whole new meaning to "representative" government.

No comments: