I have some dear friends who are Mormon, so I hesitate to say anything that can seem demeaning about Mormons or the Mormon religion (even though I think it is wrong on a variety of theological issues). But what stood out to me from the interview was this exchange: (Here's a video of the exchange).
"Moderator Tim Russert asked if “it was wrong for your faith to exclude them for as long as it did.”I perceive that he is reticent to say, "my faith (and the faith of my fathers!) was wrong." And I can see the challenge of "answering for" your religion when seemingly no-brainer changes in doctrine are the result of "new revelation[s]."
“I told you exactly where I stand,” Romney said. “My view is that there’s no discrimination in the eyes of God. And I could not have been more pleased than to see the change that occurred.”
6 comments:
The 7th sign? We agree!
Why on earth was he a member prior to the "revelation?"
I don't know anyone who would belong to church,synagogue or Buddhist temple that stated blacks were less than equal, and I certainly don't want a President who made a choice as an adult to belong to such a religion.
PS--
Forgot to mention in the previous note that he was a member of the Mormon Church prior to 1978, when they changed their ruling about blacks. He was also in law school at the time, which implies he was old enough to take responsibility to joining a religion that discriminated against blacks.
This chucklehead's acting like he's watching it from the outside looking in! He's a church elder as is the rest of his family, like his father.
Remember George Romney?
What a stiff. I saw his performance on MTP and he's on some pandering-enhancing drugs.
It's almost as if he made a powerpoint presentation called "becoming the GOP nominee" and he set off a checklist of things he could do while in office in MA instead of actually, governing.
"I stood in favor of the death penalty" (yeah for you)
"I stood against illegal immigration (except when the painting and lawn care are cheap)"
"I stood against gay marriage" (only when I was trying to court religious conservatives)
The reason why Huckabee is catching fire is exactly why Romney's dousing out.
Yeah, Sharon, that touches on my biggest misgiving with Romney. I can appreciate "evolving" on issues, but it is more difficult for me to believe that someone has had a change of heart when said change comes as a (well) educated adult, who has previously run for a statewide office (U.S. Senate), and who ostensibly has not gone through any major worldview changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKI2C93T4CU
Thanks for the link William, er, "Anonymous."
Gosh, now you Libs are claiming to have Christ's endorsement?
Post a Comment